MARSHALL – The Southwest Minnesota State University men’s basketball team (8-4, 4-3 NSIC) returns from their vacation on Sunday, January 2, 2022, hosting the University of Sioux Falls (7-6, 3- 4 NSIC) inside the R / A facility with a set playing time of 2:00 p.m.
• SMSU, who enters the break after winning two road games against Concordia-St. Paul and Minnesota State on Dec. 17-18 will look to sweep the USF’s regular-season series after claiming a 70-69 victory over the Cougars in Sioux Falls, SD on Nov. 23.
• The Jan. 2 game opens a three-game homestand for SMSU and will be the NSIC’s South Division Mustangs final opponent for over a month. SMSU will play eight straight games against enemies in the NSIC’s North Division starting Jan. 7-8, 2022, hosting Minot State and UMary.
• The game will be broadcast on 105.1 FM KARL with Ryan Rohlik providing play-by-play.
• Live stats, radio and video broadcasts of all games can be found at SMSUmustangs.com.
• In the latest NCAA stats (Dec. 21), SMSU ranks 53rd for rebounding margin (+5.0), 61st for scoring defense (67.8) and 69th for PCT free throws. (74.2). Jake Phipps ranks 29th with 18 blocked shots and 60th in PCT field placement. (57.6). A full list of the latest NCAA stats can be found on page 15.
• Sophomore Jake Phipps leads the team in scoring (15.1) and rebounds (7.4), ranking second in PCT field goals. (57.6) and third in 3 points (14).
• Senior Kenny Byers is second on the team in scorers (13.5) and second in assists (38).
• Red-shirt rookie Dunwa Omot and senior Grant Kramer each connected with a 19-point 3-point record.
• Sophomore Cliff McCray recorded 47 assists, a team-high, and 23 team-leading steals.
• SMSU kept nine of their 12 opponents 69 points or less, including 49 points at their season low in a win over Winona State on December 10.
• SMSU have passed their opponent in nine of 12 games.
• SMSU shoots 47% from the field, 36% from the 3 point range, 74% from the free throw line and has a rebound margin of plus-5.0.
• SMSU is averaging 71 points per game, while his opponents are averaging 68 points per game.
• SMSU allowed Winona State just 10 points in the second half on December 10. It was the first time that an SMSU opponent has been limited to 15 points or less in a half since Michigan Tech scored 15 in the second half on November 17, 2017.
• The last time SMSU kept an opponent under 50 points in a game was on March 2, 2014, when SMSU defeated Wayne State, 68-45.
• The last time an SMSU opponent was limited to five or less goals in one half was on December 11, 2009, when Northern State had just three field goals in the second half.
History of the series against Sioux Falls
• SMSU and Sioux Falls meet for the 39th time on Sunday with SMSU leading 23-15 in a series that started in 1968-69.
• SMSU has won eight of 14 games since the 2015-16 season, including earlier this season, 70-69 on November 23 in Sioux Falls, SD
• SMSU leads the series 16-3 in games played at Marshall, but USF have won three of the last five inside the R / A Facility. The teams shared two games last season at Marshall.
• SMSU head coach Brad Bigler is 11-9 against Sioux Falls.
Earlier this season against Sioux Falls
• Southwest Minnesota State University recovered from a 15-point first-half deficit, with Jake Phipps leading with 22 points, to claim a 70-69 victory over the University of Sioux Falls on November 23 in Sioux Falls.
• Phipps made 8 out of 12 baskets, including 4 out of 5 with 3 points.
• Kenny Byers added 16 points, tied a career-high with eight assists and taken five rebounds, while Dunwa Omot scored 13 points while making three 3 points.
• Matt Cartwright led the Cougars with 19 points including four 3 points.
Scouting in Sioux Falls
• USF enters the game 7-6 overall, 3-4 NSIC, and comes off an 80-69 win over Concordia-St. Paul on December 18.
• Matt Cartwright, a transfer from Augustana, missed games Dec. 17-18 but is averaging a team-high 22 points with 36 3 points this season.
• Sophomore Jack Thompson (12.4) and junior Chase Grinde (10.5) both score in double digits.
• Grinde leads the team in rebounds at 6.8 per game.
• USF shoots 43 percent from the field, 34 percent from the 3-point range, 71 percent from the free throw line and has a rebound margin of over 5.0.
• USF are averaging 74 points per game, while their opponents are averaging 74 points per game.
• Head coach Chris Johnson is in his 14th season with USF with a 231-162 record. He was also head coach at Culver-Stockton for one season (2004-05).
– Courtesy content
by SMSU Athletics